Teacher of Business and Economics – Part time
£28,000 - £43,685
0.6 - 0.8 FTE would be considered for this role
1st May 2023
Whickham School is seeking to recruit an engaging and inspirational teacher of Business and Economics. Our IT, Business and Technology faculty of 13 staff consists of a Faculty Leader, Deputy Faculty Leader, Lead Practitioner, Programme Leaders and teaching staff with many years of experience through to ECTs. Our Business and Economics team consistently achieve some of the best results in the school at KS4 and KS5, in both academic and vocational qualifications.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an enthusiastic and committed individual to make a difference in the lives of young people. We place a strong emphasis on pastoral work and the role of a tutor, and use a restorative approach in supporting pupils. The school is heavily oversubscribed and results are considerably above local and national averages (progress 8 in 21/22 was +0.25).
Our vision for all our pupils is that they are valued and inspired to be the best that they can be. We seek to develop the following 4 qualities in our pupils:
- Aspiration – Whickham students set aspirational goals that are ambitious and without limitation.
- Respect – Without compromise, Whickham students demonstrate respect for themselves, others and their environment.
- Resilience – Whickham students persevere with challenges especially when faced with setbacks.
- Empathy – Whickham students strive to be kind, caring and and understanding of each other’s feelings and needs.
One of our unique strengths and selling points is our commitment to staff which includes:
- Reduced teaching allocation to allow for each faculty to meet collaboratively for an hour each fortnight in specialist subject teams to support subject specific pedagogy and development
- Access to a range of salary sacrifice schemes (e.g. childcare, bicycle, electric vehicles)
- Leadership and Teaching & Learning development opportunities
- A supportive environment where work/life balance issues are considered carefully
- An ECT programme which receives very positive feedback
- Access to school fitness facilities out of school hours
- Higher priority for admission of children of staff into the school
Specific details regarding the role and skills and qualities that the successful candidate will need to demonstrate are in the attached job description and person specification.
We welcome visits by prospective applicants to the school. Please contact Simon Alexander via email@example.com if you wish to arrange a time to see the school. Applications should be uploaded to the TES via the following link https://www.tes.com/jobs/vacancy/teacher-of-business-and-economics-part-time-gateshead-1833156 by 9am on 1st May 2023. This role could be fulfilled on a 0.6 – 0.8 FTE basis. Please make it clear on your application form what your preference is.
- Whickham School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students and young people. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
- We have a robust Safeguarding Policy and all staff will receive training relevant to their role at induction and throughout employment with the school.
- This post is subject to a satisfactory enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service criminal records check for work with children.
Whickham School is a large and successful school in Gateshead with over 1700 students including approximately 350 in our high performing sixth form.Visit School Website