Teacher of BTEC Health & Social Care (Maternity Cover)
Durham Sixth Form Centre
Hours of Work: Full time
Contract: Fixed Term: 1st January 2021 until 31st August 2021
Start Date: 1st January 2021
Application closing date: 12.00pm on Thursday 24th September 2020
This is an exciting time to join Durham Sixth Form Centre; we are an oversubscribed post-16 institution; our results are significantly above National Averages; we are expanding our premises; we have gained external recognition and national awards for our work.
We know that the very best way to provide outstanding education is to ensure our staff are outstanding. With this in mind we wish to appoint an outstanding teacher to join our team to deliver lively, exciting and challenging lessons in the following subject(s):
BTEC Certificate and Diploma Health & Social Care
The successful candidate will have exceptional planning and time management skills; be able to inspire and challenge both students and colleagues; have the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders including students, parents, the media and governors; have evidence of outstanding results and student outcomes; and be committed to working in an inclusive environment in support of the values, vision, purpose and direction of Durham Sixth Form Centre.
Durham Sixth Form Centre
Durham Sixth Form Centre is the largest post-16 school in the North East of England (and 1 of 4 nationally), with approximately 1,500 students on roll. We are situated in the middle of Durham City Centre, a couple of minutes’ walk from both the bus and railway stations. Students generally enrol at Durham Sixth Form Centre from over 50 different secondary schools from across County Durham, Sunderland and into Northumberland.
We were inspected by Ofsted on 1st and 2nd March 2017 and are delighted with the outcome. We are an Outstanding post-16 school. Our students have an excellent record of success; they work hard to achieve it.
- Our A level results are above the national average and in the top 12% of schools in England.
- Students’ grades and points for A level are above both the County Durham average and national average.
- Students’ points and grades for their best 3 A levels are also above the national average.
- Our Applied General results (broad vocational qualifications) are above the national average and in the top third of schools in England.
- Students’ grades and points for Applied General are well above the County Durham average and national average.
- Our Tech Level (occupational qualifications) grades and points are well above the County Durham average and national average.
Most of our students continue their studies at university, some take up employment or apprenticeships; others stay with us into Year 14 where we run some Level 4 courses. Our award-winning Careers Information Advice and Guidance team support our students into higher education, employment or their chosen future pathways.
In 2013 we celebrated our Centenary year. We are housed in a 1913 former Girls’ Grammar School which was converted to Sixth Form accommodation in 1983. In addition to the original building there is now a Science Block; a 210 seated Theatre; our Hunter Resource Centre; Visual Arts Centre and Freemans Quay Leisure Centre. In 2019 we have expanded further to include our new Digital Media Centre which houses a grab-and-go Café, Conference Facility, TV Studio, small cinema room and additional classroom space.
Through sustained effort, and a clear focus and direction, Durham Sixth Form Centre is a truly embracing and dynamic organisation. We are committed to promoting the principals of equal opportunities and we aspire to an environment where all our students and employees can develop their potential. We have a strong professional development programme and have achieved CPD Mark accreditation, Investors in People and Governor Mark. Our recent Ofsted inspection report said ‘The Headteacher and the highly skilled leadership team have established a culture in which students flourish and grow. Consequently, there is a healthy appetite for learning and achievement in an environment that demands high expectations for academic, vocational and personal excellence’. The school operates according to values which we feel help to determine the culture, ethos and atmosphere of Durham Sixth Form Centre. We value:
- high quality, inspirational teaching and learning;
- excellent support, care and guidance;
- personal and professional integrity;
- ambition and progress for our students, our communities and ourselves.
If you are energetic and passionate about post-16 education and an outstanding experienced teacher or an outstanding newly qualified teacher then we would welcome your application and look forward to hearing from you.
January 2020Visit School Website
Applying by post
Applicants should submit the following documents electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org on, or before the closing date:
- A completed Application Form
- A supporting letter of application of a maximum of two sides of A4, which includes information under the following titles:
- The outcomes of students you have taught (e.g. value added, attainment, progression).
- The strengths that you would bring to the post (with reference to the person specification).
- What extra would you bring to the role if appointed?