Bishop Wilkinson Catholic Education Trust
L6 – L10 (£50,122 – £55,360 per annum)
Full Time, Permanent
4th Oct 2023
Location: St Alban’s Catholic Primary School, Rothbury Avenue, Pelaw, Gateshead, NE10 0QY
Grade: L6 – L10 (£50,122 – £55,360 per annum)
Hours: Full Time, Permanent
St Alban’s Catholic Primary School is proud to be part of the Bishop Wilkinson Catholic Education Trust, a family of secondary, middle, primary and first schools in Durham, Gateshead, Northumberland and Sunderland. Bishop Wilkinson is the largest Catholic Education Trust in the North East of England and has a total of 47 schools. This is an exciting time to join our supportive team.
Applications are invited from practising and committed Catholics for the post of a Deputy Headteacher at St Alban’s Catholic Primary School, to work closely with the Headteacher to lead the school in the next exciting phase in its development.
We are looking for an individual who has superb interpersonal skills with a drive to build upon the existing success of the school. At St Alban’s, we aim to provide a stimulating learning environment in which each child feels valued and can fulfil their academic potential. We have designed our provision to develop the moral, emotional, physical, and intellectual needs of our children at each stage in their development. We are focussed on living out our mission, ‘Jesus said, ‘I have come so that they may have life and have it to the full’.’
We are seeking an individual to support the head teacher to:
- Sustain a Christ-centred vision, embodied in the school’s Catholic mission, ethos and strategic direction, in partnership with the local governing committee, the parish and Trust, and through consultation with the school community and Diocese.
- Ensure high-quality, expert teaching across all subjects and phases, built on an evidence-informed understanding of effective teaching and how pupils learn.
- Ensure high standards of pupil behaviour through the promotion of the virtues and courteous conduct in accordance with the school’s behaviour policy.
- Sustain the ethos, culture and practices rooted in the distinctive characteristics of Catholic education that enable pupils to access the curriculum and learn effectively.
- Prioritise the professional development of staff, ensuring effective planning, delivery and evaluation which is consistent with the approaches laid out in the standard for teachers’ professional development.
- Ensure the protection and safety of pupils and staff through effective approaches to safeguarding, as part of the duty of care.
- Implement improvement strategies, which lead to sustained school improvement over time.
- Commit their school to work successfully with other Catholic schools and other schools and organisations in a climate of mutual challenge and support.
- Establish and sustain a professional working relationship with those responsible for governance which is inspired by a Christ centred vision of human formation.
- Be one of the school’s deputy designated safeguarding leads.
- Lead teaching and learning as a classroom practitioner with a teaching responsibility.
- Facilitate, support and monitor the overall progress and development of our children, in particular those with additional needs (SEND).
The successful candidate will have:
- Secure understanding of the distinctive nature of the Catholic school and Catholic education.
- Evidence of appropriate professional development for the role of Deputy Headteacher.
- Had active and effective leadership of a team/key stage/curriculum area.
- Had experience of and ability to contribute to staff development (e.g. coaching, mentoring, INSET for staff).
- Significant teaching experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Recent experience in a Catholic school would be desirable.
How to Apply:
To complete an application form please visit our website and download the Deputy Headteacher application pack. Please return your completed application pack to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the closing date.
A visit to the school is warmly welcomed and positively encouraged. Please contact Mrs J Reynolds at the school office to arrange this.
Closing date: Wednesday 4th October 2023 (Midnight)
Interview date: Thursday 19th October 2023
The Bishop Wilkinson Catholic Education Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is exempt from the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Bishop Wilkinson Catholic Education Trust
Bishop Wilkinson Catholic Education Trust, formerly The Trinity Catholic Multi Academy Trust was set up on 1 February 2012. Cardinal Hume Catholic School, Gateshead was the first school in the trust.
Bishop Wilkinson Catholic Education Trust, is currently a family of 5 secondary schools and 21 primary schools from across Gateshead, Sunderland, Durham and Northumberland, in the west of the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle. The Trust is expanding rapidly and will reach a total of 48 schools by Summer 2022.
We feel very privileged to be able to work with our wonderful children and the amazingly gifted and dedicated staff and leaders across all of our schools. Our motivation and general philosophy are built on ever improving standards of discipline, nurture and care, teaching and learning and quality of leadership. Bishop Wilkinson Catholic Education Trust will be a partnership that affirms the dignity of the individual. The person is at the heart of Christ’s teaching: this is why the promotion of the human person is the goal of our Trust.Visit School Website