Lead Practitioner of Science
Leadership Scale L3-7. £46,548 - £51,470 Placing within scale dependent upon expertise and experience.
6th Nov 2023
General Expectations staff will:
- Contribute effectively to the work of the school and to the achievement of the ‘School Improvement Priorities’.
- Play a full part in the life of the school community, to support our distinctive aims and ethos, to encourage staff and students to follow this example
- Follow school policy regarding care, support and supervision of students.
- Attend training and development activities and courses, ensuring continuing, personal and
- Contribute to a welcoming school culture by promoting mutual respect for all.
- Comply with any reasonable request from a leader to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description.
- Work as a team member.
- Act as a role model to students in speech, dress, behaviour and attitude.
- Have common duties in the areas of: Quality Assurance, Communication, Professional
- Practice, Health & Safety, and General Management (where applicable), Financial Management (where applicable), Appraisal, Equality & Diversity, Confidentiality and Induction.
Duties and Responsibilities for all Teaching Staff:
All teaching staff will:
- Work within the National Conditions for Employment of School Teachers (STPCD).
- Uphold and observe the Professional Code for Teachers (GTC) and meet the National Standards for Qualified Teachers.
- Promote the school’s stated ethos and support the school’s policies in student leadership and Management.
- Support and encourage colleagues at all levels within the school.
- Contribute to and implement the annual School Improvement Plan and agreed policies.
- Teach as directed throughout the school, subject to appropriate training.
- Expect, monitor and improve progress in student learning.
- Contribute to the personal and social development of all students.
- Participate in the pastoral management and delivery of the schools Personal Social Health Citizenship and Enterprise Education programme (PSHCEE) as requested.
- Take part in quality assurance and performance management procedures outlined in an agreed school policy.
- Take responsibility for personal development.
Responsibilities for all Subject Teachers:
- Take full responsibility for ensuring a scheme of work is delivered to students in their allocated classes.
- Plan lessons using a range of strategies to meet student’s individual learning needs understood from attainment and supporting data.
- Have a thorough knowledge and understanding of their subject, its teaching and place in the National Curriculum and that of the school.
- Use the models set out in School Policies for delivery of lessons.
- Set homework according to school and department policies.
- Mark, assess record and report on student’s achievements, setting appropriate targets.
- Keep to deadlines for reporting, marking, submission of coursework and assignments.
- Prepare students for examinations when required, taking part in standardising and moderating activities required by departments and examination boards.
- Contribute to the development of schemes of work, school and department policies as appropriate.
- Attend and contribute to appropriate meetings and professional development activities.
- Take an active part in the school’s self-evaluation process, including the completion of appropriate documentation, and contribute to this process within the subject area.
- Undertake whatever other duties might reasonably be requested by the Head Teacher or Subject Leader.
Responsibilities of all Form Leaders:
- Are responsible for day-to-day administration in the form group.
- Review and discuss student’s work and welfare, setting targets as necessary.
- Meet with parents including school calendared meetings.
- Promote good behaviour and positive attitudes at all times.
- Support form, year and school activities as appropriate.
- Deliver an appropriate programme of form group activities, including the agreed PSHCE programme.
Responsibilities of Post Threshold Teachers and/ or Lead Practitioners. Teachers who have passed the Threshold or are employed as a Lead Practitioner should ensure that they continue to meet Threshold Standards and should demonstrate that they make an active contribution to the policies and aspirations of the school. Specifically:
- They provide a role model for teaching & learning.
- Make a distinctive contribution to the raising of student standards.
- Contribute effectively to the work of the wider team.
- Take advantage of appropriate opportunities for professional development, using outcomes effectively to improve students’ learning.
- There is a clear expectation that Post-Threshold Teachers and/ or Lead Practitioners will take a lead role in the development of other teaching staff and will welcome Student and Newly Qualified Teachers and visitors, by prior arrangement, into their learning environment.
Specific Responsibilities for this Post:
- To raise standards of attainment and achievement in the subject.
- To assist the Subject Leader in the leadership and development of the subject.
- To be responsible for agreed aspects of the subject (negotiated annually).
- To be responsible for an agreed area of whole school responsibility, negotiated annually with the Headteacher.
Contribution to school development:
- Contribute to the development of school policy through participation in appropriate meeting groups, committees and working parties.
- Liaise as appropriate with external agencies including the LA achievement services.
- Support the school ethos and policies in relation to students, parents, the local community and other external groups.
• Provide reports as appropriate for Governors on activities and progress within the area of responsibility.
- Be accountable for the performance of students against targets in the appropriate curriculum area(s).
- Prepare reports as required analysing student progress and performance in the designated area.
- Establish and maintain a safe, healthy and attractive environment for learning.
- Manage budgets allocated to the area following all Trust procedures.
- Deploy staffing and physical resources effectively to support the delivery of high quality teaching and learning.
- Ensure all relevant health and safety requirements are complied with, bringing concerns to the attention of the relevant staff promptly.